Prince Charles, who is first in line to the British throne, has tested positive for coronavirus after displaying mild symptoms.
“ His office has announced in a statement Wednesday morning that the Prince of Wales has tested positive for Coronavirus. He has been displaying mild symptoms but otherwise remains in good health and has been working from home throughout the last few days as usual.
The statement confirmed that the 71-year-old British royal’s wife, Camilla, the Duchess of Cornwall, 72, tested negative. They are currently at their home, Burnham on the Balmoral Estate, in Scotland “self-isolating.
“The tests were carried out by the NHS in Aberdeenshire where they met the criteria required for testing.”
While Clarence House said it is “not possible to ascertain” whom Prince Charles may have caught the virus from, the office made note of a “high number of engagements” he carried out in recent weeks.
The news comes on the heels of Prince Albert of Monaco revealing his positive diagnosis of COVID-19. According to multiple reports, Prince Charles sat across from Prince Albert at a WaterAid charity event in London days before testing positive.
Prince Charles and Duchess Camilla had already canceled their upcoming eight-day royal tour, which was set to begin on March 17 and conclude on March 25, with stops in Bosnia and Herzegovina, the Republic of Cyprus and Jordan.
“Owing to the unfolding situation with the coronavirus pandemic, The British Government has asked Their Royal Highnesses to postpone their spring tour to Bosnia and Herzegovina, Cyprus and Jordan,” their office shared in a statement.
Prince Charles’ mother, Queen Elizabeth II, remains in a healthy condition despite her son testing positive, a Buckingham Palace spokesperson told Fox News.
“Her Majesty The Queen remains in good health. The Queen last saw the Prince of Wales briefly after the investiture on the morning of the 12th of March and is following all the appropriate advice with regard to her welfare,” the spokesman said.
The British royal family announced on its official website last week that Queen Elizabeth would temporarily move to Windsor Castle amid the growing coronavirus pandemic one week earlier than planned.