President Muhammadu Buhari on Thursday ordered a fresh investigation into the case of the missing 219 schoolgirls seized from Government Secondary School, Chibok, Borno State.
A statement by the Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, Mallam Garba Shehu said a panel would be announced soon by the National Security Advisor. The decision comes after parents of the girls and the Bring Back Our Girls (BBOG) movement marched to the presidential villa to demand a meeting with Buhari earlier on Thursday
“I assure you that I go to bed and wake up every day with the Chibok girls on my mind,” Buhari was quoted as saying in the statement after meeting some of the marchers.
On April 14, Boko Haram militants raided a school while the girls were taking exams. They loaded 270 of them onto trucks. Around 50 escaped shortly afterwards.
“The investigation will seek to, among other things, unravel the remote and immediate circumstances leading to the kidnap of the girls by Boko Haram terrorists as well the other events, actions and inactions that followed the incident,” Shehu said.
Boko Haram has killed thousands of people and displaced more than 1.5 million during a six-year campaign to establish Islamic law in Africa’s biggest economy. The group was beaten back from territory it held early last year but continues to carry out suicide bombings and hit-and-run attacks. Buhari, who came to power in May 2015, has made it a priority to end the insurgency.
The Chibok abduction led to the #BringBackOurGirls campaign championed by Michelle Obama and thousands of others.