Well, I have decided that you and I are going to write one so I’m so excited.
I will start with a few of my tips. Some hilarious, others just common sense, but you can add yours to complete the manual. Here goes…
The MUM’S MANUAL – Book 1 (Read Instructions Carefully)
- Never establish eye contact when your child is trying to fall asleep. They may sense your joy and abort mission!
- Every child will eventually figure out a way to manipulate you, you must have a counter strategy.
- Your kids are smarter than you think, do not underestimate them.
- Discipline must always be commensurable with offence.
- Be consistent and avoid any form of partiality when dealing with your kids.
- Do not underestimate the power of play. Play with your kids, be their friend, it does magic for your relationship.
- Never fail to explain your actions. Kids can be made to understand rules which makes it easier for them to abide by them.
- Get into your children’s mind from time to time. Think like them.
- Pretend to cry and throw tantrums occasionally. It throws them off balance and you can now manipulate them instead of them manipulating you!
- Be open to learn. Some of the greatest lessons I have learnt, I learnt from my kids or other kids I have worked closely with, like love, laughter, forgiveness and honesty.
So mums, good luck writing your manual, I look forward to reading yours.
Sincerely yours in motherhood…