World Children’s Day was first established in 1954 as Universal Children’s Day and is celebrated on 20 November each year to promote international togetherness, awareness among children worldwide, and improving children’s welfare. (Source: un.org)
- It is a day set aside for children worldwide to help fight for their rights and help them achieve their dreams.
- Did you know the date of the celebration varies between different countries?
- In Nigeria it is celebrated May 27, with different schools organising parades and fun activities for the children. Some religious organization also organize activities for the less privileged.
- Did you know that in the past schools in same locality came together to have parades in Nigeria? This has changed due to the increasing rate of insecurity.
- Did you know India celebrates Children’s day on November 14 which also commemorates the birth anniversary of Jawaharlal Nehru, the first Prime Minister of India? ( Source: https://wap.business-standard.com/about/when-is-children-s-day).
- Children’s day is not a public holiday in Nigeria, the day is specifically to honour Children and minors. Basically several social activities are centered on them.
Children they say are the leaders of tomorrow, so it is advicable for parents to maintain a healthy and friendly relationship with the children so that their potentials can be actualised and impactful in the future.
Happy Children’s Day to all Children worldwide.