The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, on Wednesday,January 13, 2016 has arraigned one Felix Tangwami, former chairman Demsa Local Government Area of Adamawa state, before Justice Helen Nuhu Hamman Joda of Adamawa State High Court, sitting in Yola, on a five-count charge bordering on
obtaining by false pretense to the tune of N981, 468, 000.00 (nine
hundred and eighty one million, four hundred and sixty eight thousand
Tangwami, in his capacity as the council boss, used his position to award a a number of contracts to companies where he has interests and failed to deliver on the contract terms.
- -Contracts for supply of cerebrospinal meningitis vaccines awarded in favour of Binam Integrated Services Ltd;
- -supply of VVF Oral Vaccines for Immunization against typhoid in favor of Nchaloro Nigeria Ltd;
- -supply of 500 units of motorcycles to be distributed to all the Local government Areas in Adamawa State in favor of Bange Integrated service Ltd;
- -building of a school for technical skill acquisition in Numan in favor of Bange Company Ltd;
- – and the supply of anti-snake venom in favor of Tafari Nigeria Ltd.
The accused pleaded not guilty to the charge preferred against him.
In view of his plea, counsel to EFCC, Chris Meishelia told the court to fix a date to commence trial.
However, defence counsel, Sule J. Abdul, told the court that he had a pending application for the bail of the accused.
He urged the court to admit him to bail adding that, the offence for which he is being charged is bailable.
Justice Joda, admitted the accused to bail in the sum of N500million
with one surety in like sum.
The surety must be a family man residing within the jurisdiction of
the court. He must own a landed property worth N100million.
The case was adjourned to February 22, 2016 for hearing.