Lionel Messi is considered to be one of the best footballers in the world., although the debate between him and Ronaldo is still on. But this is so much so that some suggest he is the best footballer of all time, which is rather impressive considering all of the amazing footballers that have come before him.
Regardless, considering his reputation, it should come as no surprise to learn that Messi has won a number of championships as well as what can seem like a constant succession of awards and accolades.
Lionel Messi being Lionel Messi, it was somewhat inevitable that he would choose the biggest club game on Earth to score his 500th goal for Barcelona. Sure enough, after homing in on the landmark for some time, the little genius reached the milestone with a last-minute winner in his side’s 3-2 victory against Real Madrid.
On his way to that 500 (scored in just 557 Barca games), Messi has set all sorts of high-profile records and feats.
However, if you REALLY dig into the details of his goal record, there are a few facts we reckon you didn’t know about…
So here are 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Lionel Messi’s Goal Record
1. Aside from the Camp Nou, Messi has scored more goals at the Bernabeu than at any other ground.
Before his two-goal, match-winning display at the Bernabeu, there were whisperings that Messi’s El Clasico record wasn’t all that great.
2. Messi has scored in 317 different Barcelona games – Barca have only lost 12 of them.
Meaning, if Messi scores, Barcelona have a 87 percent chance of winning.
3. Dani Alves has set up 42 of Messi’s 500 Barca goals – more than any other player
The former Barca right-back has been the great man’s leading assist provider, which is quite an achievement for a (supposed) defender.
4. Messi has scored more goals against Sevilla than against any other club.
Speaking of Arsenal fans, they will no doubt be relieved to know that there ARE other teams against whom Messi has bagged a few. The little genius has scored 29 times against Sevilla, with Atletico Madrid (27) and Valencia (24) just behind on his list of favourite opponents.
5. Of all the managers he has played under, Messi had the best record under Tito Vilanova.
Under Pep Guardiola, Messi scored a remarkable 211 goals in 219 games. Under Luis Enrique, he has 146 in 152.
In both cases, that equates to 0.96 goals per game, which is the sort of ratio most strikers can only dream about.
However, under the late Tito Vilanova – who was in charge from 2012-2013 – Messi scored a 60 goals in 50 games. That is a frankly ludicrous 1.2 goals per match.
6. Messi has scored 37 hat-tricks for Barcelona.
That includes four four-goal hauls and the one time he scored five in a game (against Bayer Leverkusen in 2012). That means that he has scored 117 goals purely in the form of hat-trick performances.
ALSO READ: How Messi Saves Barca, Always
7. Messi has scored past Diego Alves 21 times – more than any other keeper.
No goalkeeper enjoys facing Messi, but Diego Alves must be sick of the sight of him.
In his time with Almeria and Valencia, the Brazilian goalie has been beaten a massive 21 times by Barca’s No10.
8.Goalkeepers to concede most Messi goals Include:
Alves – 21 goals, Iraizoz- 18 goals, Casillas- 17 goals,Farnandez- 15 goals, Palop- 12 goals,Tono- 12 goals.
9. Messi has only been top scorer in La Liga on three occasions – and hasn’t been top of the La Liga charts since 2012/13. And in case you don’t know, the Copa del Rey is the competition in which Messi has the poorest record.
He has ONLY scored 43 goals in 61 Spanish Cup games – a ‘meagre’ 0.7 goals per game, his worst ratio in any competition.
10. The Only player to score five goals in a Champions League game
This was scored against Bayer Leverkusen at Camp Nou.