9 Major Events After Nigeria’s Independence
1 October 2017 Blog
As Nigeria celebrates her 57th independence , there were some remarkable events the took place post independence, however, Kapital FM has highlighted 9 major events out of the numerous events that occurred after Nigeria gained her independence in 1960,
- October 1, 1963 : Nigeria became a Republic
- December 30, 1964:Nigeris held her frist national elections as an independent contry
- August 31, 1966: The original Name ” Federal Republic of Nigeria ” was restored
- January 15, 1970 :The Biafran War came to an end, leaving nearly two million people dead.
- April 2, 1971: Nigeria changed from driving on the right hand side of the road to the left.
- May 22, 1973: Government established the National Youth Service Corps NYSC Scheme and introduced compulsory one year service for all graduates of Nigerian universities.
- February 13, 1976: General Murtala Mohammed was gunned down, in an abortive coup attempt, on his way to work from his residence.
- October 1, 1979: General Obasanjo handed over to Alhaji Shehu Aliyu Shagari (Excutive President of Nigeria). Five parties competed for the presidency, and Shehu Shagari of the National Party of Nigeria (NPN) won.
- December 12, 1990: Abuja official became Nigeria’s capital.
Happy Independence day !!!
Please share with us some of the events you remember after Nigeria’s independence.